BENTLEY PARK, QLD
Teaching Level: Primary
St Therese's Parish School is an integral part of the Cairns Diocese and the Edmonton Parish. Located just 20 minutes south of Cairns City, St Therese's provides Catholic Education to an area that is currently referred to as the 'growth corridor' of Cairns.
The first Catholic school in Edmonton, Edmonton Convent School, was established by the Sisters of Mercy on the 29th April, 1929, with an enrolment of just 30 students. Its original location was on the Bruce Highway in the small township of Edmonton - an area that had been originally established as a sugar-milling town to serve the many surrounding sugarcane farms. Since those early days, the school has undergone many changes in its history and was renamed in 1965 to that of St Therese's School.
In 1995, the school was relocated to its current position where it has continued to grow in order to meet the growing enrolment numbers that have resulted from the development of residential areas south of the city. Today, it has an enrolment of approximately 620 students, Prep to Year 6. The school is proud of its rich historical story as well as the modern facilities that are now available to students, enabling a holisitic and quality educational learning environment. 2011 saw the completion of the school master plan following $5.5 million in combined capital projects undertaken as part of the Building the Education Revolution and planned facilities expansion.